3.19.2008

Camino Inca.

Day 1: Starting on the Inca Trail - only 12km to camp.

Views of the Andes from the trail.

Our group at campsite no. 1.
{L to R: Oz, Car, Omar ~ Brazil, Vanessa ~Buenos Aires, Mariano ~ Buenos Aires, Emily ~Utah, Kristin ~ Utah, Megan (in back) ~ Utah}

Day 2: Hiking past many ruins, 13km all up hill with a 3,000 ft elevation gain. We reached 14,000 ft.

Uphill battle of day no. 2.

Views from campsite no. 2.

Oliver in his element.

One of our porters. In order to hike the Inca Trail you have to hire porters to carry most of your stuff {ie: tents, tables, chairs, food}. They also cook for you. Porters get paid close to nothing and carry an amazing amount of weight. Please note that he is carrying a propane tank which is held on his back with some twine. They do not have proper equipment, they often sleep in caves, and they cruise up the trail. Needless to say we left them a good tip.

Day 3: More ruins. 11 km to camp.

Oliver with fluffy hair and a Brazilian.

Our Guide: Simon Puma, he wanted to wear Oliver's jacket for the picture.
Sometimes in South America weird things seem normal.

Day 4: 12 km. Our first views of Machu Picchu through the Sun Gate.

Our Destination.

We made it.






22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god the view is spectacular!
I wish i could travel to places like these :]

spenceandcass said...

Carly, the pictures of the ruins are beautiful. I think you are going to have a hard time convincing Oliver to leave that place!

Molly said...

Wow, those pictures look amazing...quite a hike/workout!

Colby said...

Very cool. that's funny your guide wanted to wear Oliver's jacket for the photo. I'd prefer to get my photo taken wearing Mammut also. Once again, looks like a very cool adventure.

Bethers said...

What an incredible adventure! Put your feelings and thoughts down about this (OZZY too!)

corryfever said...

you guys... those pics are unreal.
if there is a sweetest blog updates award, you would probably win.

Stephanie said...

WOWIE!!! That's so awesome that you guys did that! "Hey Car, remember that time we went to Machu Piccu?" I'd like to hear that sentence with my name in it...

Spencer & Cara said...

Love the last picture, you are amazing!

Spencer & Cara said...

Love the last picture, you are an amazing photographer! Kudos!

Ty and Holly said...

Machu Picchu looks incredible! Love all the photos, Ty and I are so jealous. Amazing. I love that last photo too.

cat.janer said...

amazing. this is about the best thing that has ever happened to the universe.

Maeve said...

Wow! What an experience. I love the lush green everywhere. -Maeve

Sarah said...

What adventorous times! The pictures you take are spectacular. Must run in the family! Good to know you made it back safe!

Kristy and Dave said...

AMAZING pictures! I'm totally jealous. Except for the hiking part--I would have died before I made it to the top. You two are my heroes for that alone.

KO said...

Simply amazing! Keep snapping those incredible shots.

Sherry said...

Okay Ozzy and Carly. Find out the best time of year to make the trek then make us reservations. I hope you don't mind making the trek again. Maybe we can even talk some of the kids into coming along...

Anonymous said...

I promise I will be there some day soon. Awesome......thanks for sharing.
sy

spenceandcass said...

I want to go with you Sherry! Make reservations for me too Carly...I'm totally there!

Oliver said...

Mom are you serious because I would love to do it again?

Lacey Jay said...

You were born a photographer Car! I love your pictures. It looks like your having a experience of a life time. I agree... You might not get Oliver to come home. Be safe

Mama Mia said...

Amazing pictures and experience! I love the puffy hair on Oliver! Can I be adopted into the Young Family cause I want to go next time too!

christine said...

So Jealous!