Oliver here. I recently got the pictures from my latest trip, so I thought I would hi-jack Carly's blog again and share my photos of the Grand Teton. My journey started on a Thursday night at about 6 pm. I drove up to one of my friend's (Bud's) family cabin near Targhee Ski Resort. After getting a bit lost, I got up there around 11:30 PM, just in time to take a two and a half hour nap before getting up at 2 AM to start the adventure.
From the cabin to the trailhead was a about an hour drive, it was very dark at that time. Luckily for us at this hour the National Park gates were open with no attendant so we didn't have to pay the fee to get into the park. After gearing up and scarfing down a hard boiled egg or two we started up the long trail at around 3:45 AM. The weather report called for evening thunderstorms, which for Teton National Park is kind a bit of a given. To the North and South we could see lightning through the night sky, but overhead was as clear as could be.
As we started getting into the Meadows enough light was peaking through to allow us to see the shadows of the massive towers looming ahead. From this point the trail turns up a steep pass and climbs brutally until the lower saddle is reached. When we reached the lower saddle, ready to take a short break, a bone chilling wind started to gust. By this point the sun was still behind the horizon, but there was a enough light so that the valley floor and the route ahead of us was visible.
Me just under the lower saddle
We started the approach to the Upper Exum Ridge, a large rib of rock that forms the prominent ridge line from the lower saddle. After some intense scrambling from the lower saddle, we reached Wallstreet, the official start of the climb! By this time I was hammered, but I had my secret weapon on me - Gummy Bears! From Wallstreet the route climbs up this amazing ridge for over 2,000 feet; some of the best rock I have ever climbed. Around you, but far below, are these gigantic peaks with their glistening glaciers adding to the already beautiful mountains.
Once at the top (around 12 PM, 8 hours after we left the car), I realized that I still had another 6 hours of tough, knee crunching, descending in front of me. After stopping for a few pictures we decided to get moving because of the nasty weather moving in. Once we had most of the gear packed and ready for the descent, it started to snow. It is quite amazing how little snow it takes to make that rock feel as slick as ice beneath your approach shoes.
The last hour of hiking you always ask yourself why do I do this? Then 3 weeks later you get the pictures back and those achy bones, cut up knuckles, blisters, nausea from altitude sickness, and sore hips from the back pack have all healed and what you're left with is nothing but great memories and an urge to do it all over again.
Thanks to Bud & Jesse for a great time!
7 comments:
Very cool Oz.
Wow, looks gorgeous. Carly is a better wife than me...it looks dangerous! Get all that crazy stuff in before you have kids:)
you have so many amazing adventures! Cool pics!
So cool...would love to do that route, only done the Owen-Spalding.
The Tetons are sexy, and bonus points for the weather.
The photography class sounds fun, but all I have is a point and shoot digital camera...
I think you're a much more legit photographer than I am.
Amazing!!!
Thanks for hauling my big butt up the thing! Good Times
Post a Comment